We helped to restore one of Brooklyn’s oldest parks.
Returning a portion of the nearly 150-year-old Prospect Park to its glory days required constant communication among stakeholders and the team. Not only is the LeFrak Centre one of the largest building projects ever undertaken in a New York City park, it was also completed while remaining open to the public.
Gleeds was the liaison between all members of the team, advising and advocating for the owner. We monitored construction progress, the program schedule and change order process.
Scenic spot in the city
Prospect Park is home to the largest tract of forest remaining in Brooklyn. Trails, streams, meadows and waterways add to its scenic beauty.
Situated on 26 acres in the park’s southeast corner – known as the Lakeside area – the LeFrak Centre includes:
- An ice skating/ice hockey rink
- An elliptical all season roller skating rink with summer water feature
- Event space
- Eight newly usable acres of space for recreation
A lasting legacy
Sustainable methods were used throughout construction to ensure the project stands the test of time. Locally sourced construction materials, FSC-certified wood, and energy reduction processes were employed.
The buildings are bermed into the land which created optimal thermal efficiency. Additional sustainable features include an open-air design, permeable landscape materials, green roofs and a stormwater recovery system.
Award winning parklands
Prospect Park is one of the premier green spaces in the United States, and the LeFrak Centre has won numerous awards since it opened to the public:
- 2015 ACEC New York Platinum Award: Special Projects Category
- 2015 MASterworks Award for Best Urban Amenity, Municipal Arts Society
- 2014 ENR Best Project Award: Landscape/Urban Development Category
- 2014 Greater New York Construction User Council Award: Outstanding Recreational Project
- 2014 Award for Excellence in Design, New York City Public Design Commission
- 2013 Lucy G Moses Preservation Award, New York Landmarks Conservancy
- 2013 Merit Award, American Society of Landscape Architects, New York Chapter
- 2010 Award for Excellence in Design, New York City Public Design Commission
- LEED® Gold Certified