Marriott Cairo Hotel
How did refurbishing a hotel redefine a cultural masterpiece?
Cairo’s Marriott isn’t like other hotels. It contains Gezira Palace, built in 1868 as a luxurious guesthouse for royal visitors.
To ensure its refurbishment was completed on budget, Gleeds provided the Egyptian government with cost management services.
Preserving a national treasure
Our team helped the Egyptian Government Organisation for Hotels & Tourism (EGOTH) achieve the best value for money from its investment during refurbishment of the:
- Existing and operating historic hotel building
- Palace’s front of house areas
- External public areas
- Back of house support areas
An historic achievement
Whilst working with our client to provide cost modelling, planning and value engineering, we’re particularly proud to have:
- Met tighter budget requirements following civil unrest in 2011
- Procured contractors to meet the hotel’s safety, noise and working requirements
- Reduced costs and maximised income by using existing space to create a spa
- Provided cost advice during design development to save time and money
the time when Gezira Palace served as a hospital to cope with large numbers of casualties from Gallipoli.